Zoo Interchange Core and Adjacent Arterials Reconstruction
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (SE Region)
Milwaukee County, WI
Total Estimated Cost
Construction management services for the 11-mile Zoo Interchange in Milwaukee County. One of the largest infrastructure projects ever completed in the state.
The two phase rebuild consisted of seven miles of urban freeway and four miles of local roads and also included:
• 26 bridges
• Bicycle facilities
• Four temporary bridges
• Seven complex multi-level system ramp bridges with steel tub girders
• Two pedestrian bridges
• 53 retaining walls
• Freeway reconstruction
Improvements included key mitigation routes and widening the bridges over I-94 and I-894, adding more lanes under the bridges for the Zoo Interchange. The junction of I-45/I-94/I-894 is the busiest interchange located in Milwaukee County. The rebuild made it the largest multi-modal project in Wisconsin’s history and improved safety and freeway operations.
DAAR provided lead electrical inspection, lead bridge construction engineering, lead roadway, lead storm sewer, lead traffic control, lead materials, program controls, and general construction inspection services.
The project also extended the pedestrian trail under a new bridge to preserve the habitat and migration of monarch butterflies.
• Project administration, budgeting and monitoring
• Administration, creation and maintenance of 3D digital terrain models
• Provide, utilize and train staff on use of a GPS rover calibrated to plan horizontal and vertical control
• Project scheduling with staging
• Project estimates and contractor modifications
• Public coordination between city, contractor and subcontractors
• Coordinating with utilities (Trans 200)
This project was recognized for “Best Use of Technology and Innovation-Large Category” in 2019 by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.